Station Name: KNOTTY ASH & STANLEY
[Source: Paul Wright]
Looking north at the Knotty Ash goods yard in 1968. The yard was located to the south of the passenger station, on the south side of East Prescot Road. The signal box, seen to the left, was a CLC type 2C structure that controlled the main line at this location and access to the yard. It opened on 25 February 1923, having replaced an earlier one that had opened with the line on 1December 1879. The 1923 box closed on 18 January 1970. As the yard was still open at this time it was replaced with a ground frame. Latterly the yard was used only for coal traffic and it closed on 1 May 1972. The ground frame was taken out on 21 October 1972.
Photo by James Crampton