[Source: Nick Catford]
1896 1:2,500 OS Map. There is little change from the earlier Town Plan; both would have been produced from the same survey. A bungalow ‘shanty town’ grew up in the 1870s around Lea Bridge station, at fringes of the expanding urban area of Leyton. The settlement consisted of perhaps 69 wooden houses or shacks with wells and earth closets.
Photo by Nick Catford