LEATON

SIGNAL BOX

[Source: Paul Wright]

A signal box had been opened at Leaton by the 1880s. It was located to the south of the passenger station on the south side of the level crossing. It was on the east side of the line next to the up (Shrewsbury direction) line. The box was brick at its lower level with a timber upper cabin. It controlled the level crossing and the line through the station.

In 1905 the original box was replaced with an all timber GWR style structure. The 1905 box had a 21 lever frame. From 1909 the new box also controlled goods sidings which were opened on the west side of the line.

Leaton signal box closed on 12 November 1987.

Leaton signal box seen in the 1960s.
Photo from John Mann collection

A view of Leaton signal box looking east from the level crossing in the 1980s.
Photo by David Vinson

Leaton signal box looking south in the 1980s.
Photo by David Vinson


The lever frame at Leaton signal box seen in the 1980s.
Photo by David Vinson


Looking north from Leaton signal box in the 1980s.
Photo by David Vinson


The frontage of Leaton signal box seen in the 1980s.
Photo by David Vinson

The rear of Leaton signal box seen in the 1980s.
Photo by David Vinson

Click here to return to main page

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:29:39 BST
© 2004-2016 Disused Stations