Station Name: LETTERSTON

[Source: Nick Catford]

Letterston Station Gallery 2:
July 1974 - September 2016

Letterston station looking north-west towards Letterston Junction in July 1974. The up platform is intact although heavily overgrown. The down platform is piled high with soil hiding the surviving
goods yard buildings.
Photo by John Mann

The 'station bungalow' as it was then known standing at the back of the up platform in July 1974.
Photo by John Mann

Letterston station looking south-east along the trackbed in 1976.
Photo by Laurence Roche from Alan Young collection

Letterston station looking north-west in July 1990. In the summer the platform is now completely covered by undergrowth. Coronation Terrace is seen in the background.
Photo by Alan Young

Letterston station bungalow and up platform in February 2002.
Photo by Ralph Rawlinson

The site of Letterston station and goods yard looking south-east from Station Road in 2010. The station bungalow was demolished in 2007 and a new house stands on the site. The long concrete huts in the goods yard survive in industrial use.
Photo by Martyn Harris. reproduced from Geograph under creative commons licence

The site of Letterston station looking north-west in September 2016. The trackbed has now been infilled and the site levelled. Three new houses have replaced the station bungalow. On the left the WW2 concrete huts are now let out as industrial units.
Photo by Roy Lambeth

The site of Letterston station looking south-east in September 2016. The station buildings were in front of the new houses on the left.
Photo by Roy Lambeth

One of the surviving huts in the Letterston goods yard in September 2016. These buildings were for the storage of grain and other perishable goods and were built on staddle stones to make them inaccessible to rodents.
Photo by Roy Lambeth

The base of the goods yard hand operated crane survives. The Railway Clearing House lists the capacity of the crane at Letterston as 1-ton 10-cwt in its 1904 and 1956 handbooks.
Photo by Roy Lambeth




[Source: Nick Catford]

Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 14:30:39 CEST
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations