Station Name: LINCOLN ST. MARKS

[Source: Nick Catford]
Date opened: 4.8.1846
Location: On west side of High Street
Company on opening: Midland Railway
Date closed to passengers: 13.5.1985
Date closed completely: 13.5.1985
Company on closing: British Rail (Eastern Region)
Present state: The platforms have been demolished but the main station building has been incorporated into a new shopping complex. One of the original stations signs has been mounted on a mock signal box built nearby.
County: Lincolnshire
OS Grid Ref: SK973707
Date of visit: April 1987 & 6.11.2006
Notes: St. Mark's railway station, the first in Lincoln, was opened by the Midland Railway in 1846. At that tome the station was called Lincoln, 'St. Marks' wasn't added until 15 September 1950. Originally a terminus the line was extended through the station only a few years after opening to connect with the Great Northern Railway just to the east of their station. The Durham
Ox Junction was also crossed by a road, leading to many delays. The junction was crossed by Pelham Bridge in the mid 1950s.

The station originally had an overall roof which was removed in 1957. Up to closure St. Marks was the mainline station with through services from Cleethorpes to London. Prior to closure of the Lincoln to Grantham line during the 'Beeching Axe', London services had used Lincoln Central station. Direct services were stopped with rail privatisation requiring a change of train
at Newark North Gate.

To save duplication of operating two stations in 1985 the station closed when services were diverted to the nearby Lincoln Central station. The construction of a new 80 metre length of track to the west allowed services from Newark to reach Lincoln Central. After closure the area was derelict for a year but before demolition, an archaeological team moved onto the site
to excavate the area between the tracks which had been the site of a monastery

The grand ionic portico that was once the entrance has been preserved and is home to Lakeland Limited as part of the commercial development of the site. A mock signal box has also been erected in the car park on which has been affixed an original sign from the station.The remainder of the former station site is now St. Marks Shopping Centre.


Tickets from Michael Stewart


A Cleepthorpes DMU waits at Lincoln St. Mark's Station in August 1981.
Photo by Alan Moore



Lincoln St. Marks Station c.1970s.
Photo by Mark Warwick from his Flickr photostream

DMU's at Lincoln St. Mark's Station in 1984
P
hoto John Law from his Everything on Rails web site

Lincoln St. Mark's Station in April 1986
P
hoto by Nick Catford

Lincoln St. Mark's Station in August 1992
P
hoto by Martin Latus

The site of Lincoln St. Marks Station from a similar viewpoint to the picture above in November 2005. The main station building has been retained as part of a shopping complex, it can be seen to the right of the memorial
P
hoto by Mark Dyson

August 1981

1980's

1984

1986

1986

1986

1986

1986

Signal box in
1986

1986

August 1992

2005

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

:[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:31:01 BST
© 1998-2010 Disused Stations