Station Name: LINLEY HALT


[Source: Nick Catford]

Date opened: 1.2.1862
Location: At Apley Forge which is at the end of a long track running through Apley Park
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 9.9.1963
Date closed completely: 9.9.1963
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Station still extant and converted to a private residence. One nameboard still in place on the platform.
County: Shropshire
OS Grid Ref: SO705984
Date of visit: May 1980 & 29.5.2005

Notes: The station was built at the request of Thomas C. Whitmore of Apley Park Estate, opposite the railway to the east of the River Severn. His opposition to the Severn Valley Railway plans of 1852 had forced the company to promise to run the line through tunnels to prevent it '...utterly annihilating the privacy and seclusion of the said mansion, house, park and grounds...'. This was despite the fact his property was on the opposite side of the river to the proposed railway.

Raising extra capital for the construction of these tunnels helped postpone construction of the whole railway. Further negotiations with Whitmore in 1855 led to agreement for the tunnel plans to be abandoned but the price for this was high. Whitmore claimed £14,000 as compensation as well as a charge of £150 per acre for any land the railway company had to purchase from him. In addition, he had the company agree to build a station at which at least two ordinary passenger trains in each direction every day could be stopped on request. Linley station was the result.

First closed 1.1.1917 and then reopened 2.4.1917. Opened as a station but demoted to a Halt by closure.

The present Severn Valley steam railway runs from Kidderminster to Bridgenorth, Linley was the next station, beyond Bridgenorth.


Linley Halt in May 1980
hoto by Nick Catford

Linley Halt in August 1963

Linley Halt in May 2005
hoto by Nigel Edward-Few

Early 20th C





Click on thumbnail to enlarge

[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 14:31:06 CEST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations