Station Name: LINTON COLLIERY (Halt)

[Source: Alan Young]

Date opened: Unknown
Location: West of Linton Colliery (village name) post office.
Company on opening: Ashington Coal Company
Date closed to passengers:

16.5.1966

Date closed completely: 16.5.1966
Company on closing:

National Coal Board

Present state: Demolished
County: Northumberland
OS Grid Ref: NZ262913
Date of visit:

23.5.2012

Note: This was one of four stopping places for ‘Paddy’ trains on the 20-mile Ashington Coal Company (later National Coal Board) system.

Equipped with short platforms, the halts served miners. Before World War I the NER loaned a locomotive and crew from North Blyth depot to operate the services on the system, but later Ashington Coal Company had its own tank engines and rolling stock which provided the passenger train service until 16 May 1966. After this date contract buses were provided instead. Linton
Colliery closed in 1968.

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE ASHINGTON COAL COMPANY (later NCB) RAILWAYS
The Ashington Coal Company operated pits at Ashington, Linton, Ellington, Woodhorn and (from 1934) Lynemouth. In 1947 the company’s pits became part of the nationalised coal industry (the National Coal Board).

From 1880 a 2ft gauge line operated to carry miners from Ashington to Pegwood Colliery. In 1895 this was abandoned in favour of the standard gauge network as this expanded, though not between Ellington and Lynemouth or Ashington and Woodhorn. The service was operated by the colliery company using a variety of ex-railway company stock, from four- and six-wheel coaches, eventually to bogie stock. On occasions
War I the NER provided a locomotive and crew from their North Blyth depot when a colliery before World locomotive was not available.

The so-called ‘Paddy trains’ began from Hirst Platform, named after the hamlet around which the town of Ashington grew. A 24-hour, 7-days a week service was operated, with about 100 trains on each weekday, 70 on Saturdays and 45 on Sundays. Besides the miners the trains also carried fare-paying passengers at a very cheap rate, whilst children paid
half fare, unless going to school, when they travelled free. Paper tickets were issued, with a different colour for each day.


A loco shed served the system. It was located close to Ashington Colliery at NZ 263881. At ‘vesting day’ when Ashington Coal Company became part of the National Coal Board the system ran from Ashington Colliery northwards for 2½ miles (double-track) to Linton Colliery, where the railway’s workshops were situated. Just south of the colliery was Potland
Junction, whence a further double track section ran north-eastwards for 1½ miles to Ellington Colliery, followed by a single line of 2 miles to Lynemouth Colliery.



The line was fully signalled and track circuited to allow British Railways’ locomotives to work over the system. North of the terminus at Hirst Platform, trains served New Moor platform, about 1 mile north-north-west, and Linton; alternatively trains operated between Hirst and Ellington. The NCB soon stopped carrying children and the general public, limiting the service to
miners only. In 1965, the year before the service was withdrawn, 95 journeys were run on weekdays and 43 on Saturdays.

The ‘Paddy train’ service was discontinued on 16 May 1966 and replaced with contract buses. All of the pits belonging to the former Ashington Coal Company have now closed.

Click here for a list of sources and a Blyth & Tyne bibliography

Tickets from Michael Stewart. Route map drawn by Alan Young. Timetable from Glen Kilday

To see other stations on the Ashington Colliery Railway click on the station name: Hirst Platform (Ashington Colliery), New Moor & Ellington Colliery


Linton Colliery miners’ platform is on the left of this northward view, with the pit heap beyond it. The shafts are to the right out of view, but the winding house can be seen through the girders above the wagons on the right.  Frames for new screens are being built. The coal would come up the shaft in tubs and would be tipped into a hopper feeding conveyor belts. Former or injured miners would stand here looking over to pick out lumps of rock or anything else that was not coal, before the coal went over riddles to grade the sizes before dropping into the wagons below. The date of this
photograph is not known.



1958 1:2500 OS Map. Linton Colliery was a somewhat isolated location, with a small, compact village of miners’ cottages in the typical gridiron layout. The miners’ platform was on a short spur at the western extremity of the colliery sidings, adjacent to the pit heap.

Linton Colliery in the 1950s. seen from the miners' platform
.

Linton Colliery in the 1950s after completion of the new screens. The miners' platform is seen in the foreground.

Linton Colliery closed in 1968. The miners’ platform has disappeared without trace. Its site is seen in this view looking north in May 2012.
Photo by Roy Lambeth



 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:31:16 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations