A drawing from 1909 showing first class passengers boarding an LNWR train at Liverpool Riverside. The picture was made from a composite of photographs with the figures drawn in. It was for an LNWR advertisement for their 'American Special' services. The passengers would have recently arrived by ship at the Princes Landing Stage and would be making an onward journey to London Euston. The train would be designated as an express but for the first part of its journey between Riverside and the LNWR Waterloo Goods station it would travel at walking speed.
Road vehicles wait for passengers at Riverside station in 1910. The roadway is Princes Parade and it ran between the railway station and the landing stage. It was covered for most of its length allowing passengers to transfer between ship and train without being exposed to the elements. The station is to the right and the landing stage to the left. A trans-Atlantic ocean liner can be glimpsed far left.
Photo from John Mann collection
A view from the Buffer Stops at Liverpool Riverside Station in c1950. The former LNWR tank engine No. 58928 seen in this view was one of two sister engines that was allocated to work trains between Riverside and Edge Hill. No. 58928 was built by the LNWR in 1888.
from the Bob Webb collection
A view looking north along platform 1 at Liverpool Riverside during a quiet period in 1950. Quiet periods such as this were not uncommon at Riverside which even during the golden years of trans-Atlantic travel could see no trains at all for days at a time. Then with the arrival of a ship the station would come alive with activity and see hundreds of passengers pass through. The MD&HB kept Riverside station in good condition throughout its life and this view shows an immaculate station. Even the track and ballast is clean.
from Stations UK
Liverpool Riverside station looking south on 6 June 1959. The station signal box is seen to the left.
On 20 November 1960 British Railways named two of its English Electric Type 4 locomotives (later class 40) after ships that had sailed from Liverpool. In this view taken during the naming ceremony locomotive D212 is seen being named Aureol after an Elder Dempster Line ship. Standing in the centre of the group is Driver Charles Ebsworth (left) and Fireman (George O’Donnell) who had brought the locomotive down to Riverside.
Looking north from the buffer stops at Liverpool Riverside on xxx 196x during a visit to the station by the xxx rail tour. During the 1950s and 1960s Liverpool Riverside was a popular destination for rail tours.
Photo by Kenneth Gray
The Lancastrian rail tour at Liverpool Riverside station on 6 April 1968.
Copyright photo from Ernies Railway Archive
Above the front entrance to Liverpool Riverside station its name and owner were clearly displayed as shown on this view from xxx 1983. At that time the station waiting rooms were being used by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company.
by John Mann
Looking north at Liverpool Riverside station on 15 August 1983. The station was a shadow of its former self and Liverpool as a port was in terminal decline. The last trai had run over twelve years previously and the station booking hall and waiting rooms were being used by the 'Isle of Man Steam Packet Company' as a ferry terminal. Princes Parade had lost its roof a few years previously.
Photo by John Mann
Liverpool Riverside station looking north in 1984.
Photo by Phil Edwards
A view looking south into Liverpool Riverside station in 1984.
Photo by Phil Edwards
Click here to see photos of Liverpool Riverside in the period 1987 to 2015