LIVERPOOL RIVERSIDE AND
WATERLOO GOODS STATION BRANCH

A JOURNEY IN PHOTOGRAPHS

[Source: Paul Wright]
 
A view looking south towards Riverside station in March 1971. The station can be seen in the distance. Originally the line had been double track at this location but one of the lines was lifted in the late 1940s. Evidence of it can be seen to the left where new stone setts have been laid where the rails had been.
Photo by John Wraithmell


Looking south along the line towards the site of Liverpool Riverside on 22 February 2015. A surving section of the lifted line can be seen in the form of a diamond crossing on the line going off to the left.
Photo by Paul Wright


A view looking south from a point a little further to the south of the picture above but 25 years earlier in 1990. A signal post can be seen adjacent to the wall on the right.
Photo by Kevin Hudson


A diamond crossing from the line that was lifted in the 1940. It was probably easier to do so rather than replace it with plain track.
Photo by Paul Wright


An aerial view of the north end of Princes Dock seen in 1920. The branch can be seen passing through a warehouse and then heading across the Princes Dock entrance swing bridge. In the top left of the view is the Princes Dock Liverpool Overhead Railway station.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Lt
d


On 22 February 1969 the Liverpool Docker rail tour visited Liverpool Riverside station. This view was taken from the rail tour just after it had crossed the Princes Dock entrance swing bridge and was rounding the corner to head into Riverside. Walking in front of the train is an MD&HB pilotman with a red flag. All trains were worked this way throughout the life of the branch.
Photo by Norman Daley

Looking north-east along the line close to the site of the Princes Dock entrance swing bridge on
30 March 2015.
Photo by Paul Wright

The line continued over the swing bridge and headed in a north-east direction towards the MD&HB ‘main line’. The route of the line across the swing bridge is seen in this view from 30 March 2015. It can be seen that there had been two tracks at this point originally.
Photo by Paul Wright


The Princes Dock entrance swing bridge seen from the air in 1937 in the open position.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Lt
d


A view looking north-east at the site of the Princes Dock entrance swing bridge in November 1989.
Photo by Alan Hart from his Flickr photostream

A close up of the point where the line continued after crossing the swing bridge seen on 30 March 2015.
Photo by Paul Wrigh
t

Click here to continue

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:32:53 BST
© 2004-2015 Disused Stations