Station Name: LLANGELYNIN

 

[Source: Terry Eyres]



Date opened: 7.7.1930
Location: West of A493 through a smallholding
Company on opening: Great Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 28.10.1991
Date closed completely: 28.10.1991
Company on closing: British Rail (Western region)
Present state: Platform still extant (assumed)
County: Merionethshire
OS Grid Ref: SH571073
Date of visit: 31.5.1989 & 26.5.1992

Notes: Llangelynin was on the Cambrian Coast line; it was originally a halt when the term was dropped it became Llangelynin Station although a sign on the access gate still referred to it as a halt until closure.

The station was closed when it became mandatory to provide platform lighting on health and safety grounds. British Rail decided it wasn't worth providing lighting and closed the halt with the last train running on 25th October 1991.

Further reading: Coast Lines of ther Canbrian Railways Volume 2 - Dovey Junction - Barmouth Junction by C C Green. Wild Swan Publications 1996 - ISBN 1874103291

 

Class 150 passing Llangelynin with the 09.40 Pwllheli - Birmingham New Street train on 31 May 1989
P
hoto by Terry Eyres



Class 150 passing the now closed Llangelynin with 17.10 Pwllheli - Birmingham New Street train on
26 May 1992 - note the small waiting shelter has been removed
P
hoto by Terry Eyres

Road access to Llangelynin in May 1989, still referring to the station as a Halt many years after
this term was dropped
P
hoto by Terry Eyres


 

 

 

[Source: Terry Eyres]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:33:16 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations