LLYNCLYS JUNCTION

[Source: Paul Wright]


Notes: Llynclys Junction was located on the Cambrian Railways (CR) main line just to the east of its village namesake. The junction was the point at which the Porthywaen branch diverged from the CR main line. The main line at Llynclys had been opened by the Oswestry & Newtown Railway (O&NR) on 1 May 1860 and the Porthywaen branch on 1 May 1861. The branch was built to serve quarries at Porthywaen and originally both the main line and the branch were single-track railways. In the second half of 1863 work began on doubling the main line and it was completed by 15 February 1864.

The O&NR became part of the CR on 25 July 1864.

The junction was controlled by a signal box located in the fork of the junction. Sidings were also laid out at Llynclys Junction to facilitate the transfer of wagons between branch and main line. The sidings were located on both sides of branch just beyond the junction. In the early days the branch had its own locomotives so a shed and servicing facilities were also provided.

Passenger and goods trains ran along the main line and Llynclys station was 18 chains south of the junction. The branch was used only by goods trains until 6 January 1904 when Tanat Valley Light Railway services started to use it.

In January 1922 the junction became part of the Great Western Railway and in January 1948 British Railways [Western Region] (BR[WR]). Tanat Valley line passenger services ceased on 15 January 1951 and the Porthywaen branch reverted to its pre-1904 status of being a goods line only.

On 18 January 1965 the CR main line closed completely between Llynclys Junction and Buttington. It was lifted between the two locations later that year and the actual junction at Llynclys was removed. It retained its name as a railway location, however, as the sidings alongside the Porthywaen branch remained for the use of quarry trains. In 1965 quarrying activity was still taking place at Porthywaen and also at Nantmawr and Llanddu (near Blodwell Junction).

The Porthywaen quarry had closed to rail traffic by the end of the 1960s and the Nantmawr quarry services ceased after 21 October 1971; the quarry at Llanddu contined to be served until 1988.

After rail services ceased the line was left in situ and could still be seen in July 2016. Aspirations to reopen it as a heritage line had been well developed by that time by the Cambrian Heritage Railways group.

To return to Lynclys station click here


Llynclys Junction looking south in 1904. In the foreground is the double track Cambrian Railways main line and to the right the Porthywaen branch. From January 1904 passenger services began to use the Porthywaen branch to reach the Tanat Valley Light Railway.
Copyright photo from the John Alsop collection





Llynclys Junction shown on a six-inch scale map from 1875. The sidings that were located on the Porthywaen branch and the signal box are clearly shown.


Llynclys Junction shown on a Railway Clearing House map from 1915.


Llynclys Junction shown on a 1:2,500 scale map from 1925.


Looking north at Llynclys Junction in 1948. To the left is a large water tank that serviced the facilities at the junction. The signal box is also quite prominent in the view.
Copyright photo from the John Alsop collection

Llynclys Junction looking south in the winter of 1948 by which time it was under the ownership of British Railways (Western Region). Wagons can be seen in the distance in the Porthywaen branch sidings.
Copyright photo from the John Alsop collection


A view looking west along the Porthwaen branch In April 1973 as Sulzer Type 2 locomotive number 5082 passes the Llynclys Junction sidings en-route to Gobowen.
Copyright photo from Ernies Railway Archive


A stone train is seen at Llyclys Junction in May 1973. At the head of the train is a Sulzer Type 2 locomotive number 5080.
Copyright photo from Ernies Railway Archive

 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:33:39 BST
© 2004-2016 Disused Stations