Station Name: LONGHIRST

[Source: Alan Young]


Longhirst Station Gallery 2: September 1978 - August 2010


Longhirst station building, looking north-west across the tracks of the East Coast main line in September 1978. The Newcastle & Berwick Railway did not economise on the station buildings which opened with the line in 1847. As much attention was given to the architectural details on the side elevations (to the south and north) as to the more prominent platform and forecourt façades.
Photo by John Mann

The NER signal box at Longhirst station level crossing is seen in 1979, looking north-east shortly after its closure. The nameplate has been removed from the box. The structure has an N1 base with wooden top and overhangs, and it housed a 26-lever G W Stevens frame.  The crossing gates had been replaced with barriers on 19 October 1975, and on 12 November 1978 the signal box was relegated to operating as a gate box, released by Morpeth. The frame was cut back to 23 levers when the crossing was modernised.  The box closed in January 1979 but the base has been retained as a relay room.
Photo by Alan Lewis from his Ipernity photo gallery


Looking south from Longhirst level crossing in May 1980 Class 55 Deltic No.55009 ‘Alycidon’ hauls an Edinburgh-bound express through the site of the disused station. Numbered D5009 until 1974, the locomotive was built at the Vulcan Foundry and entered service in July 1961. It hauled its last British Rail train on 2 January 1982 from Peterborough to Newcastle and is now owned by the Deltic Preservation Society. It has operated on the North Yorkshire Moors and Nene Valley railways and been on display at the National Railway Museum, York.  55009 is currently used on the
Great Central Railway.
Photo by Alan Lewis from his Ipernity photo gallery


The western elevation of Longhirst station building is seen in 1990. The splendid Newcastle & Berwick Railway building of 1847 is notably asymmetrical in design, its three facing gables being of contrasting sizes. The porch is of the same style as its neighbour on the northern elevation.
Photo by Alan Lewis from his Ipernity photo gallery


The 06.00 Kings Cross - Edinburgh express (Class 91 - 91022) speeds past the disused Longhirst station in April 1992.
Photo by Richard Allen from his Flickr photostream

Looking north-east from the level crossing in April 2005 at the former signal box. After its closure in January 1979 the base of the box was retained as a relay room – as has happened at several other disused stations on the East Coast main line in Northumberland. A BR Corporate Identity nameplate has been affixed.
Photo by Steven Hedley from his Flickr photostream


Longhirst station looking south from the level crossing in May 2010.
Photo by Nigel Thompson, reproduced from Geograph under creative commons licence


Longhirst station building, looking south-west from the level crossing in August 2010.
Photo by Colin Alexander from his Flickr photostrea

Aerial view showing the station building to the left of the main line and the goods yard to the right. The yard is now occupied by D.A Johnstone Plant Hire Ltd. The surviving terrace of miners' cottages is seen bottom left. Two railway cottages are seen top left.


 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:34:25 BST
© 1998-2015 Disused Stations