Longhoughton Station Station Gallery 2: c1953 - June 2009
A goods train in the sidings at Longhoughton headed by D20/1 No.62352. This northward view (c1953) also includes a rake of coal trucks in the siding, far left, with the goods warehouse behind. The Worsdell-designed 4-4-0 was built by the North Eastern Railway at Gateshead works in September 1900 and was numbered 2023. Under LNER ownership she was renumbered 2052, and British Railways changed the number to 62352. Withdrawn from 52A, Gateshead shed in June 1954 the locomotive was cut up at BR’s Darlington works, North Road the following month.
from Jim Lake collection
Loco No.62352 heads a goods train at Longhoughton station c1953. In this northward view across the two tracks of the East Coast main line the passenger station is in the background, its main building obscured by the goods warehouse. The Worsdell-designed 4-4-0 was built by the North Eastern Railway at Gateshead works in September 1900 and was numbered 2023. Under LNER ownership she was allocated number 2052, and British Railways re-numbered her to 62352. Withdrawn from 52A, Gateshead shed in June 1954 the locomotive was cut up at BR’s Darlington works, North Road the following month.
by Gareth Lauder Patterson from Railways of Berwick and the Eastern Borders
private Facebook group
This undated photograph shows the waiting shelter on the west (down) platform of Longhoughton station. The pent-roof structure is of sandstone, with prominent quoins, and it is thought that it was originally open-fronted, the NER later enclosing it with timber and glass. The building survived into the 1950s but was replaced with a simpler structure a few years before the station closed.
Photo from Roger Jermy collection
A fine general view of Longhoughton station, looking north from the down platform c1960. The goods warehouse is on the extreme right, with the lean-to shed on the site of the first signal box. The upper storey of the station building is beyond. In the left foreground, on the down platform, is an LNER nameboard, and this angle shows how the framed wooden board with metal letters pegged onto it was supported by nebs on the two stanchions. At this time the nameboard was painted in BR(NE) tangerine. The small waiting shelter has replaced the original structure seen on the 1953 photographs. Several of the distinctive NER casement lanterns are seen which contained oil lamps. In the background a barrow crossing is seen, and it was by this means that passengers transferred between the platforms.
Photo from Roger Jermy collection
The up platform and station building at Longhoughton are seen on the evening of 3 June 1963 from a southbound train. Despite the adverse lighting conditions the photographer took the opportunity to record the occasion when the last-ever passenger train called at the station, just under a year after it had officially closed to all traffic. The train was a Whit Monday excursion. The final coat of paint in BR North Eastern Region’s favoured ‘oriental blue’ can be seen on the timber lean-to building. The gents’ toilet (far left) still carries a BR(NE) tangerine-coloured sign.
Photo by Brian Johnson
Looking south at the closed Longhoughton station c1964. The ramp of the down platform is in the foreground. The station building and goods warehouse are seen on the up platform. The telegraph poles have been removed since the photograph of 3 June 1963,
from John Mann collection
The platforms and station buildings are thought to have been demolished in the late 1960s. This northward view shows the site of Longhoughton station in September 1978. The back wall of the down platform is seen, far left. The buildings on the far right are the station cottages on Station Road.
by John Mann