Station Name: LORDS (formerly St. JOHNS WOOD)


[Source: Nick Catford]

Date opened: 13.4.1868
Location: South side of St. Johns Wood Road close to the junction with Park Road.
Company on opening: Metropolitan Railway
Date closed to passengers: 20.11.1939
Date closed completely: 20.11.1939
Company on closing: London Passenger Transport Board
Present state: Surface building demolished and the Ramada Plaza Hotel stands on the site. Some platform remnants remain.
County: London
OS Grid Ref: TQ271828
Date of visit: 1969

Notes: The station was known as St. Johns Wood Road until 1.4.1925 when it was renamed St. Johns Wood. It was renamed Lords on 11.6.1939, five months before closure! The station entrance was rebuilt in 1924 and was used as commercial premises until 1969 when it was demolished. A section of the platforms and steps have been retained as a point of emergency egress close to the entrance of the Ramada Plaza Hotel.

Other web sites: Abandoned tube stations


Lords Station in 1969, the original entrance building can be seen from the rear with the new (1924) street level building immediately in front of it.
Photo by Nick Catford

The station is shown as St. Johns Wood on this map

Lords Station in 1969, the 1924 street level building
Photo by Nick Catford

[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 14:35:44 CEST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations