Station Name: LOUGHBOROUGH JUNCTION
[Source: Nick Catford]
1898 1:1,056 OS Town Plan shows the layout of Loughborough Junction station. The original platforms were those on the left serving Brixton and Victoria; they opened in 1864 and the station was called Loughborough Road. The Herne Hill platforms which opened in 1872 are seen in the centre and comprise an island and a down side platform. The Denmark Hill platforms are seen on the right; these also opened in 1872. Five sets of stairs serve the platforms, reached from an arch beneath the viaduct. The shaded area indicates the extent of the platform canopies. What might be the original station building is between the Denmark Hill and Herne Hill platforms. It is identified here as Loughborough Hall and if it was ever used as a station building it must have been taken out of use at an early date.