Station Name: LOWER EDMONTON LOW LEVEL

 

[Source: Nick Catford]



Date opened: 1.3.1849
Location: One platform on either side of the level crossing at the jun ction of The Green and The Broadway. The Green roundabout now occupies the site of the level crossing. The second platform was between The Green and New Road continuing on the south side of New Road bridge.
Company on opening: Eastern Counties Railway
Date closed to passengers: 11.9.1939
Date closed completely: 7.12.1964
Company on closing: LNER
Present state: Demolished - the 1st platform is under the The Green Roundabout, the site of the second platform between The Green and New Road is now a car park. The platform continued under New Road bridge which is still extant as a pedestrian subway. South of New Road a multi storey car park for the Edmonton Green shopping centre stands on the site of the southern end of the platform.
County: London
OS Grid Ref: TQ343936
Date of visit: June 1968, October 1974 & May 1978

Notes: In September 1840 the Northern and Eastern Railway opened a line from Stratford to Broxbourne with an intermediate station at Edmonton. This station was, in fact over a mile and a half from Edmonton and was eventually to be called Angel Road from 1.1.1864. In 1849 the Eastern Counties Railway (who has by this date leased the Northern & Eastern) opened a branch from Edmonton (Angel Road) to Enfield with one intermediate station at Edmonton with through trains running from their London terminus at Shoreditch (later Bishopsgate). With the opening of the new Edmonton Station, the original Edmonton Station was renamed Water Lane. The branch was single track throughout with a single platform at Edmonton.

The new line took a circuitous route in to London via Stratford and did not prove popular with commuters so in 1874 the Great Eastern opened a new direct double track line from Liverpool Street to Enfield, joining the earlier line just north of Lower Edmonton Station with a new high level station opening at Edmonton (named Edmonton Green) on 22.7.1872. With the opening of the new station the Enfield service via Angel Road was cut back to Edmonton the earlier station on the branch was renamed Edmonton Low Level. On 1.7.1883 it was renamed to Lower Edmonton Low Level (and the high level station became Lower Edmonton).

The branch from Angel Road retained regular goods traffic but little passenger traffic with the exception of workmen's trains which initially proved popular due to low fares. In fact a second platform was on the opposite side of the level crossing was added in about 1900. Through the early 20th century this popularity declined and by 1929 there was only one morning train, non stop to Liverpool Street and an evening return service from Stratford Low Level. The morning train was withdrawn in 1931 and final closure came on 11.9.1939

Freight traffic continued to use the line which was also retained as a diversionary route. On 28.4.1957 Lower Edmonton Low Level was briefly reopened at weekends during engineering works on the Liverpool Street - Enfield line. The station was cleaned up and 'totem' signs from the high level station were fixed to lamp posts.

One of the last passenger train to use this station was a school excursion to and from Windsor Castle in the summer of 1959 hauled by a B1 class locomotive. Freight traffic continued until the end of 1964 and the track was lifted during 1965.

Sources: Railway Magazine November 1959 & London Railway Record No. 8 July 1996

Other web sites: N9 Lower Edmonton web site


The 2nd platform at Lower Edmonton in April 1958. Looking south from New Road bridge
Photo by the late Bob Todd



Lower Edmonton Low Level Station (2nd platform) in June 1968 looking south. The platform continued on the south side of New Road bridge.
P
hoto by Nick Catford

Lower Edmonton Low Level Station (2nd platform) in June 1968 looking north. The 1st platform was on the opposite side of the level crossing
P
hoto by Nick Catford
.

1904

1959

1959

1968

1974

1974

1978

1978

Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:11:57 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations