Station Name: LUDDENDENFOOT

[Source: Alan Young]


Luddendenfoot Gallery 2: c1950 - 1963

A down passenger train is seen at Luddendenfoot water troughs in very early in BR days. The loco is Class 27 0-6-0 but its number is not clear.
Photo from from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive - Atack collection

A down goods is passing over the Luddendenfoot water troughs. The locomotive is a Class 27 0-6-0 numbered ?2243, either 12243 or 52243 but looks very much like 52243 which would date the picture to British Railways days and sometime between February 1949 and October 1951 during which period, if not earlier, 52243 was based at Sowerby Bridge shed.
Photo from from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive - Atack collection

The entrance to the goods and coal yards at Luddendenfoot station – undated.
Photo from Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society collection

An undated view of the goods yard of Luddendenfoot station looking west. The goods warehouse and up platform buildings are visible just left of centre.
Photo from from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive - Alice Longstaff collection

Looking east from Blackwood Hall Road over Luddendenfoot station building and towards Station Road. This view is undated but is later than the similar view as the crane in the station forecourt
has been removed.
Photo from from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive - Alice Longstaff collection

Luddendenfoot station staff outside the main building circa 1948.
Photo from from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive - Alice Longstaff collection

Luddendenfoot station looking north-west beneath the footbridge from the down platform in 1951. On the right is an LMS ‘Hawkseye’ nameboard. The waiting room and toilet block is seen on the up platform, complete with its awning; however, the timber building that stood immediately north-west has been removed. Gas lighting can be seen, of Sugg design under the awning and casements mounted on posts on the open platform. Stanier-designed ‘Black Five’ 4-6-0 No.45201 is approaching the down platform. The loco was built by Armstrong Whitworth (Scotswood, Newcastle upon Tyne) in October 1935 and at nationalisation in 1948 was based at 25F, Low Moor shed. She was withdrawn in May 1968 from 8C, Speke Junction shed to be disposed of at T W Ward’s scrapyard, Killamarsh the following August.
Photo from Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society collection

Luddendenfoot station looking north-west along the down platform in 1951. This view captures the restricted site of the station with narrow down platform backed by a retaining wall and the up platform by a very steep slope. A narrow shelter with an awning is squeezed onto the down platform, and until c1900 a shelter was also provided on the up platform on this side of the bridge; the up platform buildings, believed to have been built to replace this shelter are beyond the s
tone-arched bridge where Blackwood Hall Lane crosses the railway on a steep gradient. An LMS ‘Hawkseye’ nameboard is on the up platform, displayed at an angle supposedly to enable passengers facing forward on up trains to read it more easily. A WD (War Department) Austerity 2-8-0 loco is passing the down platform; it is carrying a BR shed plate, but it has not yet received a BR number plate.
Copyright photo from Stations UK

Looking north-west along the down platform of Luddendenfoot station in April 1953. The passenger shelter has been rationalised since the 1951 photo with the removal of the end screen and the valance, but is has received a fresh coat of paint. Two benches with the station name on the seat backs have been added in the foreground. An LMS ‘Hawkseye’ nameboard has appeared on the retaining wall between the benches and the shelter, presumably shifted from elsewhere in the station since we are now in BR (North Eastern Region) days. The up platform awning is visible beyond the bridge, with part of the goods yard in the distance. Sugg gas lamps are fitted in much of the station but some standard-mounted casement lamps are at the far end of the up platform.
Photo from John Alsop collection

Luddendenfoot station, looking south-east from beneath the up platform awning on Monday 7 August 1961. BR Class 4 4-6-0 No.75048 is hauling the Liverpool Exchange express from Leeds Central (dep 12.55pm) and Bradford Exchange (dep 1.15pm). The station building is out-of-sight behind the LMS ‘Hawskeye’ nameboard and footbridge ramp on the extreme left. The down platform shelter, consisting of an awning attached to the retaining wall, can be seen beyond the road bridge. LMS or BR (London Midland Region) post-mounted Sugg gas lamps are seen on both platforms this side of the footbridge. The loco was built at Swindon in October 1953 and remained in service until August 1968 when she was withdrawn from 11A, Carnforth shed, to be cut up the following November by Campbells, Airdrie. At the time of the photo the loco was based at 27A, Bank Hall shed.
Photo by Robert Anderson

An eastbound ‘Calder Valley’ set (later Class 110) diesel multiple unit, built by the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co, is on the quadruple track approaching Luddendenfoot station circa 1963.
Photo from from Pennine Horizons Digital Archive - Hebden Bridge Camera Club collection

Looking south-east circa 1963 towards Station Road, Luddendenfoot, with what is thought to be the station goods office in the foreground. The view is from the station forecourt. The passenger station building is off the photo to the right of the goods office. The disused Sugg gas lamp, lacking its glass, is attached to the wall by an attractive bracket.
Photo from Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society collection

The up platform at Luddendenfoot station, looking west circa 1963. The timber building contains waiting rooms and the platform in front is sheltered by an awning of generous size, supported on iron pillars with wheel motifs in the brackets. The serrated valance is carried back from the awning to adorn the south-eastern end of the building. Beyond this building and the awning is the gents’ toilet. The removal of the gas lanterns from the lamp posts suggests that the station has closed to passengers – closure was in September 1962.
Photo from Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society collection

The railway goods warehouse at Luddendenfoot station in 1963, looking south. By this time the passenger station has closed and the goods yard operates as a public delivery siding. The disused up passenger platform is seen in the background, and the former station building is seen far left. The crane and cart in the yard will be noted.
Photo from Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Society collection

Click here for Luddendenfoot Gallery 3: 1963 - April 2017

 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:37:03 BST
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations