Station Name: LYME REGIS

[Source: Nick Catford]



Lyme Regis Station Gallery 2: 1950s - August 1963


Lyme Regis station looking north c. 1950s.
Photo from John Mann collection


The 6.50 pm service from Axminster has just arrived at Lyme Regis station in August 1954.
Copyright photo by R M Casserley


30583 waits toi depart with a passenger train for Axminster on 13 August 1956.
Photo © National Railway Museum and SSPL reproduced under creative commons licence

A train from Axminster has just arrived at Lyme Regis station in August 1958. 30583 was built for the LSWR in 1885 to a design by William Adams and originally numbered 3520. It was one of 72 '0415' class. By 1928 all were withdrawn with the exception of two, Nos. 3125 and 3520 which were retained for use on Axminster to Lyme Regis branch. A third engine, No. 30583 (LSWR No. 488 then 3488) was reacquired by the SR in 1946. This had originally been sold to the Government in 1917 and resold in turn to the East Kent Railway from where it was repurchased by the Southern Railway.30583 was withdrawn in July 1961 and preserved on the Bluebell Railway as LSWR No. 488.
Photo by Richard Coy


30584 has run round its coaches ready for the return journey to Axminster in June 1960. Unlike its sister above the Adams 0415 class loco did not escape the cutters torch. It was withdrawn from Exmouth shed on 28 February 1961 and cut up at Eastleigh works at the end of that year.
Photo by David Pearson


30583 runs round its train after arrival at Lyme Regis station from Axminster in July 1960.
Photo by R C Rile
y

The locomotive is running round its train c 1961 having arrived at Lyme Regis from Axminster. The coal yard is seen on the right.
Photo by Steve Richards


30583 has just arrived at Lyme Regis station in on a summer day in the early 1960s.
Photo from Jim Lake collection

A train from Axminster has just arrived at Lyme Regis station c1963. Built to the LMS design by Ivatt, 41291 emerged from Crewe works and entered service in September 1951. It moved from Brighton shed to 72A, Exmouth Junction shed in April 1963, as a replacement for the aging Adams Radial tanks. In June 1965, it moved again to 83G, Templecombe, from where it was withdrawn in February 1966 and cut up two months later.
Photo from John Mann collection


Driver Tom Woodman beside a 2-6-2T with the Morris family children at Lyme Regis station in 1963.
Photo by Mary Morris received from John Morris

Lyme Regis station and goods shed in August 1963.
Copyright photo by Phil Tatt from 30937 Transport Photographs Database


Lyme Regis station looking north in August 1963. The train probably had through
coaches for London Waterloo.
Copyright photo by Phil Tatt from 30937 Transport Photographs Database


Click here for Lyme Regis Station Gallery 3
February 1965 - Late 2000s


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 13:37:49 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations