Notes: During the Great Famine of the 1840's two railways were
built from Derry. The Londonderry & Coleraine Railway was
built as far as Coleraine and it later joined up with the Coleraine
to Belfast line. The line was leased to the Belfast & Northern
Counties Railway in 1861 and was amalgamated with the Midland
Railway in 1871. In 1855 a short lived standard gauge horse
drawn tramway was opened from the L & C at Magilliagn to
The Midland Railway opened the first halt on the line at Magilligan
in 1873. The line was amalgamated into the London Midland &
Scottish Railway under the 1923 grouping. Following nationalisation
the line came under the control of the Ulster Transport Authority
and the UTA was split in 1967 with railways coming under the
control of Northern Ireland Railways.
Having stood derelict for many years the listed station building
has now been converted in to a guest house including the signal
box which is incorporated into the west end of the station building.
The Coleraine - Londonderry line is still open.