Marsden village was demolished in the early 1960s due to coastal erosion. Marsden was one of three villages that were demolished as part of the notorious Durham County Development Plan of 1951. It was designated a category D village which meant no future development would be permitted and all properties would be acquired and demolished. The population would be relocated
to new housing estates.
Photo received from Brian Cauwood of the Marsden Banner Group