Station Name: MELIDEN

[Source: Paul Wright]



Date opened: 28.5.1905
Location: East side of Pen-y-Maes
Company on opening: London & North Western Railway
Date closed to passengers: 22.9.1930
Date closed completely: 1.4.1957
Company on closing: London Midland & Scottish Railway
Present state:

The station platform is demolished, but the goods shed is extant and converted into a house. Part of a wagon loading-gauge also survives.

County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ060806
Date of visit: 15.11.2010

Notes: Meliden Station was located on the 2½-mile long Prestatyn to Dyserth Branch line close to the centre of the village from which it took its name. The line had been opened in 1869 by the London & North Western Railway (LNWR) to carry lead and haematite from mines in the upper Prestatyn Valley down to the Chester and Holyhead Main line at Prestatyn. Talargoch Mine was close to the station, but this closed in 1883 because of the expense of running its 15 engines. .

Towards the end of the nineteenth century there was demand for a passenger service on the line, with a petition being sent to the LNWR in 1896. The LNWR eventually agreed to this, and a regular passenger service started on Monday 28 August 1905. Prior to this Meliden was a goods station which opened with the line. In 1905 it was upgraded to a passenger station with very basic facilities consisting of nothing more than a low level platform with a timber building on a loop, located on the west (up) side of the line.

To the north of the station, also on the up side, was the existing goods yard, comprising two sidings. One siding ran through the stone-built goods shed. There was also a 1 ton 10 cwt crane. The goods yard did not handle livestock.

From the start passenger train services were operated by a ‘railmotor’ that ran between

Prestatyn and Dyserth. Initially there were only two intermediate stopping places, at Meliden and Rhuddlan Road. When the station opened there were eight services in each direction during the summer months which reduced to five during the winter, and no Sunday service, but by the summer of 1906 this had improved to 14 trains a day in each direction.

The service proved to be very popular with local people; in the summer months tourists used the trains to Dyserth to view the Cwm waterfalls and a ruined castle. By 1911 the service frequency had built up to sixteen trains in each direction Monday - Friday (one down train did not call at intermediate stations) and fifteen on Saturday. Due to an increase in passenger numbers after the Great War, the railmotor was replaced with tank locomotives and coaches that could operate in push-and-pull mode.


On the 1 January 1923, Meliden became part of the London Midland & Scottish Railway (LMS). The passenger service had always struggled financially, especially in the winter months. By 1930 there was strong road competition which led to the LMS withdrawing passenger services on 22 September 1930.

The line reverted to being purely a freight route. Meliden station closed to goods services on 1 April 1957, and the sidings and the loop were lifted shortly after. Stone trains continued to pass through the station site regularly until the 7 September 1973.

Even after 1973 trains occasionally still worked through Meliden, but the traffic had ceased by 1980 and the track was lifted in that year. Attempts
were made to reopen the line as a preserved railway, and, to this end, the local authority even bought the trackbed. Eventually the plans came to nothing, and the trackbed was developed into a footpath passing through Meliden station’s site. The goods shed survived closure and could still be seen in 2010. 

Sources:

Further reading: The Prestatyn and Dyserth branch line by Stephen P. Goodall (Oakwood Press 1986) ISBN-13: 978-0853613138.
Other web site: www.dyserth.com web site for a feature on the Dyserth branch with more photos.
Click here to see a 4 minute film of a DMU railtour to the Dyserth branch in 1968.

Route map drawn by Alan Young, Ticket from Michael Stewart, Bradshaw from Chris Hind

To see other stations on the Dyserth branch line click on the station name:
Chapel Street, Woodland Park, St. Melyd Gold Links, Allt-y-Graig & Dyserth


Looking north-east towards Meliden station in early 20th century. A railmotor can be seen departing from the station. To the left of the railmotor is a small wooden shed; this was the passenger station. Beyond is a larger stone building which was the station's goods shed
P
hoto from John Mann collection


1872 1:2,500 OS map. At this date Meliden (seen bottom left) was only a goods station. Talargoch Mine is seen top right. Ore from the mine was shipped from the station.

1912 1:2,500 OS Map. The passenger station is now shown, but the mine has closed.

1961 1:2,500 OS Map. The track layout has now been simplified following the closure of the Meliden goods yard on 1 April 1957.

Meliden station looking north in the first decade of the 20th Century. The LNWR railmotor has just arrived, and passengers can be seen boarding a service for either Prestatyn or Dyserth. The platform is very low, barely reaching the level of the rails.

An LNWR railmotor at Meliden Station in the first decade of the 20th century.
Copyright photo from John Alsop collection


Looking south at Meliden station from the brake van of a goods train that had just passed through the station in July 1963. By this time the goods yard, closed in 1957, had lost its sidings. The platform was beyond the goods shed on the right by the crossing.
Copyright photo by R M Casserley


Looking south-west towards Meliden station in December 1972. In the foreground are the points which once provided a connection into the station’s goods shed, which can be seen in the distance. The passenger station was just beyond the goods shed, where two cars are parked. At this time the line was still in regular use by stone trains.
P
hoto by John Mann

Looking south-west towards Meliden station in December 1972. In the distance two cars are visible on the site of the station’s former platform. Closer to the photographer is the goods shed through which one of the sidings passed.
Photo by John Mann

Looking south-west from the Meliden station site during track-lifting in January 1980. The line had remained in regular use until 1973 and was used sporadically after that time. Despite the efforts of a preservation group it was lifted at the beginning of 1980.
Photo from Jim Lake collection

Looking south-west towards the site of Meliden station in November 2010. The short, low platform was just beyond the goods shed which can be seen to the right.
P
hoto by Paul Wright

Looking north-east at the site of Meliden station in November 2010. The platform was to the left of the picture where the wooden fence is. Meliden goods shed is beyond the platform
Photo by Paul Wright


 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]




Last updated: Thursday, 29-Nov-2012 18:34:28 GMT
© 1998-2011 Disused Stations