Station Name: MELTON HALT

[Source: Mark Dyson]

Date opened: By 10.1920
Location: West side of Gibson Lane
Company on opening: North Eastern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 8.7.1989
Date closed completely: 8.7.1989
Company on closing: British Rail (North Eastern Region)
Present state: Both original platforms remain
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: SE969257
Date of visit: 29.1.2006

Notes: Melton Crossing Halt opened in the early 1920's after the Humber Cement Company, whose factory was located to the south of the railway, agreed to finance its construction and maintenance. The NER were to provide stopping trains at suitable times for the workforce and in return a certain amount of ticket purchases were guaranteed by the Humber Cement Company.

The halt was situated on the western side of the Gibson Lane level crossing between Ferriby and Brough stations on the Hull-Selby line; two brick platforms were provided. In later years a smelting works provided additional passengers. By. 2.1965 the station had been renamed Melton Halt. At the time of construction the line through Melton Crossing Halt was four tracks; when the eastbound slow line was lifted in the 1970's a short wooden platform was provided alongside the former fast line on the east side of the level crossing.

The halt, being primarily for workers, was not advertised in the timetable. In the 1980's with only one train in each direction calling at Melton Halt (early morning westbound, late afternoon eastbound), these were given a footnote in the timetable as 'also calls at Melton Halt'. Nevertheless closure of the halt followed the full TUCC consultation process and closure came on 8.7.1989.

Following closure, the wooden eastbound platform was quickly removed, however both the original brick platforms remain, the eastbound one only just visible through the undergrowth.

The adjacent Melton Lane signal box, which controls signaling for some distance towards Hull also remains and has recently been double glazed with UPVC windows which closely match the original appearance.

 
Melton Halt in 1974 - the cement works can be seen to the rear
P
hoto by Alan Young



Melton Halt in 1978 showing the wooden platform that was added after the eastbound slow line was lifted
P
hoto by Alan Young

Melton Halt in August 1988 taken from the cab of a train on the 'up fast' line to Selby and Leeds.
P
hoto by Michael Kaye

Melton Halt in January 2006. The cement works has now been demolished
P
hoto by Mark Dyson

The eastbound platform in January 2006,. This was replaced by a wooden platform (now demolished) alongside the former fast line when the slow line was lifted in the 1970's
P
hoto by Nick Catford

2006

2006

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

 

 

 

[Source: Mark Dyson]





Last updated: Tuesday, 12-Oct-2010 17:48:27 BST
© 1998-2006 Disused Stations