MILL HILL EAST - EDGWARE
A selection of trackside views

[Source: Nick Catford]


Sanders Lane bridge looking towards Edgware in February 1993. This is the first bridge west of Mill Hill East station.
P
hoto by Ian Baker

Sanders Lane bridge looking towards Mill Hill East in February 1993.
Photo by Ian Baker

Sanders Lane bridge looking towards Edgware in October 1996.
Photo by Ian Baker

The track bed at Sanders Lane is easily accessible and is a public footpath. The bridge
no longer carries vehicles.

Devonshire Road bridge looking towards Edgware in July 2012.
P
hoto by Nick Catford

Devonshire Road bridge. The track bed is a public footpath at this point. Access is by steps on the south side of the bridge.

Looking towards Edgware from Deans Lane in April 1996.
Photo by Ian Baker

The bridge at Deans Lane has gone and there is no longer any access to the track bed which is marked by the line of trees from left to right. Until c.1996 the trackbed to the west of Deans Lane was known as the 'Mill Hill Old Railway Nature Reserve' and with permission it was possible to walk to a point where the viaduct crossed over the Northern Line. A secure fence has now been erected to the west of Deans Lane and there is no further access to the track.

Abutments for the plate girder bridge that would have taken northbound trains from Finchley into the Northern Line station at Edgware and then on to Bushey Heath. Beneath the bridge new tracks for the Golders Green branch were laid but never used and subsequently lifted. The GN line to Edgware is seen in the background.
Photo by Ian Baker

Abutments for the plate girder bridge in August 1995.
Photo by Ian Baker

The plate girder bridge that would have taken northbound trains from Finchley into the Northern Line station at Edgware and then on to Bushey Heath in May 1956.
Photo by Alan A Jackson

Site of the plate girder bridge in August 1995. Taken form a similar viewpoint to the 1956 picture above. Photo by Ian Baker

All trace of the bridge and the line in this area has now been swept away to make way for the Northern Line sidings seen here.

Click here for more pictures


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]




Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 14:41:59 BST
© 1998-2012 Disused Stations