[Source: Nick Catford & Paul Wright]
The 9.55am Class B stopping passenger service from Morecambe Promenade to Lancaster Castle is seen passing Morecambe Euston Road and approaching Lancaster Road overbridge in September 1961. Euston Road signal box is seen on the left. 42136 is a Fairburn-designed 4P 2-6-4 passenger tank. Built at Derby works and entering service on 9 February 1950, this loco had a service life of less than 13 years when it was withdrawn from Lancaster Green Ayre on 12 January 1963 and broken up two months later. This class was introduced in 1945, a development by Fairburn of the Stanier 2-6-4 design with a shorter wheelbase
as well as minor detail changes.
Photo by Ron Herbert