Station Name: MORPETH (East Coast main line)
[Source: Alan Young]
Morpeth station, looking north-east in 1963. The station building is on the extreme right, on the up platform. The photographer is standing on the island platform, with the down main line face to the right; the Rothbury branch trains used the left face until their withdrawal in 1952. Both platforms are sheltered by roofing installed by the North eastern Railway in the 1880s. The running-in board in the foreground is a standard LNER one. Because the station was gas lit until about 1971, and the LNER generally installed ‘repeater’ nameplates only when electric lighting was introduced, Morpeth’s signage was minimal, with only the running-in boards and a further name sign mid-way along the down platform.
Copyright photo from Stations UK