Station Name: NANTCLWYD

[Source: Paul Wright]

Date opened: 6.10.1864
Location: At the end of an approach road running west from the A494
Company on opening: Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway
Date closed to passengers: 2.2.1953
Date closed completely: 30.4.1962
Company on closing: British Railways (London Midland Region)
Present state: Demolished - no trace of the station remains apart from the approach road.
County: Denbighshire
OS Grid Ref: SJ107517
Date of visit: 12th September 2009

Notes: Nantclwyd station was situated on the Denbigh, Ruthin and Corwen Railway (DRCR) which was incorporated under an act of July 1860 opening in stages between March 1862 and October 1864. Nantclwyd station opened with the second section of the line to come into use, between Ruthin and Gwyddelwern, on the 6th October 1864.

The station was in an isolated spot close to Nantclwyd Hall.  Nantclwyd Station was located on the west side of the River Clwyd and it was linked to the main Ruthin to Corwen road by means of a sandstone built bridge. The station was provided with one low platform on the east side of the line on which stood a two storey building that contained a booking office and staff accommodation including a house for the station master. A short goods siding was provided at the south end of the station and there was a goods loop on the western side of the line.

When the station first opened the DRCR ran its own train services but by 1866 the company was in financial difficulty and services were provided by the LNWR.  The LNWR formerly absorbed the line into its ownership on the 1st July 1879. In 1875 Nantclwyd Station was served by three trains in each direction on weekdays which ran between Corwen and Denbigh.

By 1904 the Nantclwyd was served by five trains in each direction running between Corwen and Denbigh.

In 1923 the station became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway (LMS). The General strike of 1926 saw a reduction of passenger services to three trains in each direction but the following year six services were provided. Passenger Services were reduced during WW2. They did revert to six trains in each direction after the end of the war.

In 1948 the Denbigh to Corwen line became part of the British Railways (London Midland Region). Road competition began to affect the line and by the early 1950s withdrawal of passenger trains on the section of line between Ruthin and Corwen was proposed. The last scheduled passenger services to run south of Ruthin ended on the 2nd February 1953. After the last passenger services had run the goods loop was lifted.

Nantclwyd Station continued to be served by goods trains until the 2nd of December 1957. Coal continued to be delivered to a siding at the station site until 30th April 1962 when regular goods services on the line ended. Formal closure of the line came on the 1st March 1965 after which the track through Nantclwyd Station was lifted. The last train however had run through the station in 1964. The station building was demolished in the 1970s.

Tickets from Michael Stewart, Bradshaw from Nick Catford and Route Map by Alan Young.

Source: From Chester to Holyhead the Branch Lines by Bill Rear. Oxford Publishing 2003
ISBN 978-0-860935-69-8

To see other stations on the Denbigh, Ruthin & Corwen Railway click on the station name: Denbigh, Llanrhaiadr, Rhewl, Ruthin, Eyarth, Derwen, Gwyddelwern & Corwen

Nantclwyd Station (unknown date)
Photo from John Mann collection

Looking north east towards Nantclwyd Station in August 1953
Copyright photo by H C Casserley

Nantclwyd Station looking north east
Painting by Derek Roberts. Click here to see more paintings by Derek Roberts

Looking north east at the site of Nantclwyd Station in September 2009.
Photo by Paul Wright

September 2009

September 2009

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 15:57:49 CEST
© 1998-2009 Disused Stations