Station Name: NEWMARKET (1st Station)

[Source: David Farrant & Nick Catford]

Newmarket Station Gallery 2: May 1937 - 1968


The original terminus at Newmarket station c1940; the decorative front of the trainshed has been removed. An island platform was later added to the right of the trainshed. The original goods yard was beyond the trainshed. When the station was open to passengers, a canopy used to extend from the train shed to a position beyond the photographer.
Photo from John Mann collection

A special race excursion stands in the island platform at Newmarket station in 1948. No.61372 began its service life at 40B, Immingham shed, on 8 December 1950 and is seen here carrying class A express headlamps. Built to Thompson's successful B1 design at North British Loco Co in Glasgow, it had a short working life of 16½ years when it was withdrawn from 41J, Langwith Junction on 20 June 1965 and scrapped by T.W.Ward during September of the same year.
Photo from John Mann collection

Looking north from beneath the Newmarket trainshed c1953; note the lower north end of the platform. The original goods shed is seen beyond the trainshed as the original brick wall at the back of the trainshed has been demolished.
Photo from Roger Newman collection

Double heading a class B12 61570 and class B17 61645 'The Suffolk Regiment 'is  entering Warren Hill Tunnel, Newmarket, with a Cambridge-Ipswich train in the 1950s. The train is passing the site of the 1854 through platform which had been demolished by this date. The coaches seen on the left are standing in the higher level island platform.
Photo from Roger Newman collection

Horses were still used for shunting wagon wagons in 1964. The porter, seen here, lives in part of the station building with his family.
Still from the Rank film Turn of the Wheel

The original passenger platform in 1964; the trainshed has been demolished. The island platform is seen on the right.
Still from the Rank film Turn of the Wheel

Charlie, one of the three shire horses who worked in Newmarket’s goods yard in the 1960s. Charlie, Tommy and Butch worked as shunt horses towing the freight and goods carriages up and down the track. The horses were an integral part of the team working in the goods yard. Charlie is seen on the wooden crossing that allowed the signalman to walk from the Newmarket yard signal box to pass/collect the single-line tablet from the engine driver after entering/leaving Warren Hill Tunnel. The stables were located close to the signal box. The original platform is seen on the left with the excursion island platform to its right.
Photo by P Norman

Newmarket goods station in June 1966.
Photo by Geoff Skelsey

Charlie, the last horse to be used for shunting, with his handler Lawrence Kelly at Newmarket in 1967. Horses had been used to haul vehicles from the earliest days of the railways, and Newmarket was the last British Railways depot to withdraw horses for shunting. They were retained there to move special vehicles used for transporting racehorses. Although locomotives could move heavier loads, horses were cheaper and more flexible, so for many years were kept to shunt at small depots.
Photo © National Railway Museum and SSPL. Reproduced under creative commons licence.

Newmarket station looking south c1967, a year after closure. The goods shed has been demolished and the track has been cut back. The section of platform on the right is the dock that used to be inside the goods shed. Coaches are still stabled in the sidings between the station and the
low level line.
Photo from John Mann collection

Newmarket station buildings are in a derelict state c1968, a year after closure.
Photo from John Mann collection

Newmarket station seen from the island platform c1968. The detached section of platform on the right was the goods shed dock.
Photo from John Mann collection


Newmarket station looking north towards the buffers c1968.
Photo from John Mann collection

Click here for Newmarket Station Gallery 3:
May 1968 - May 2005

 

 

 

[Source: David Farrant & Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Sunday, 21-May-2017 15:03:51 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations