Station Name:OLDHAM WERNETH
[Source: Bevan Price & Paul Wright]
Looking west at the Oldham Wernerth junction taken from the west end of the up platform of Wernerth Station in June 1964. The junction and the signalbox that controlled it are clearly shown. The line leading off to the left is the Thorpes Bridge line along which most passenger trains had travelled after it opened in 1880. The line leading straight on was the original line to Oldham from Middleton. As can be seen in this picture it dropped down to Middleton very steeply. The incline having been originally worked by cables. The Middleton line closed in 1964. Part of the Werneth goods yard can be seen on the right.
Photo by T A Fletcher