Station Name: OSTERLEY

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 1.5.1883
Location: On the west side of Thornbury Road
Company on opening: Hounslow & Metropolitan Railway (operated by Metropolitan District Railway)
Date closed to passengers: 25.3.1934
Date closed completely: 25.2.1934
Company on closing: London Passenger Transport Board (District & Piccadilly Line)
Present state: The platforms and roadside buildings are still extant
County: Middlesex
OS Grid Ref: TQ147773
Date of visit: 25.12.1983

Notes: The station was opened as Osterley for Spring Grove but this was soon shortened to Osterley. There is some confusion over the name, with the board at the front of the station showing Osterley Park & Spring Grove but the platform signs just showing Osterley. From the outset tickets showed the name as Osterley.

As London expanded during the 20th century the station was unable to cope with increased passenger numbers so a new larger station was built on the Great West Road. Soldiers were billeted in the old station building during WW2 but since 1967 it has been a bookshop.

 

Photo:Osterley Station in December 1983. The line of the platform canopies and the entrance to the two stairways can clearly be seen.
P
hoto by Nick Catford

This 1965 map shows the original Osterley Station as closed with the new station to the south

Osterley Station in December 1930

1930's

1984

1984

1984

1984

     

Click on thumbnail to enlarge

[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 20-Apr-2010 16:12:28 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations