Station Name: PADSTOW
[Source: Martin James]
1905 1:2,500 OS map of the railway and harbour areas of Padstow. With the exception of the siding loop avoiding the goods shed, removed in 1933, the track in the goods yard and station area (shown as 'Terminus') is of much the same layout as it was until just prior to closure. On the seaward side the original turntable road is shown. This was altered in 1933 together with the pointwork at its southern end. Visible just above the fish shed are the mooring posts; this was the approximate site of the later railway jetty. Moving northwards we can see the tracks curving round towards the harbour and South Quay. Two tracks run as far as the Custom House with one continuing onto the harbour wall. The small goods yard is to the west of the passenger platform and comprises a single siding running beneath the goods shed canopy and terminating alongside a small dock at the rear of the passenger platform; a loop runs round the goods shed. Cattle pens are located on the dock. The signal box (SB) is seen at the south end of the platform and the small building on the platform ramp is the lamp room. Just to the north-west of the station the South Western Hotel is shown. Some confusion exists over this hotel, now the Metropole. The name ‘South Western Hotel ‘implies it may have begun life as a railway hotel but it would seem this was not the case. The Metropole Hotel's own website states it was built between 1900 and 1904 for ship owners John Cory & Sons, the implication being that it was nothing to do with the railway but it should be remembered that initially the LSWR only worked the line; it did not own it until 1922. The hotel's website does not, at the time of writing, make any reference to the name 'South Western Hotel'. A number of period photographs and postcards do, however, refer to it by that name. Quite when the Metropole name was assumed is unclear. It was sold to Trust House in 1936 and requisitioned by the Admiralty during the Second World War.