PENNINGTON EAST JUNCTION
[Source: Paul Wright & Bevan Price]
Pennington East Junction was formed when the Pennington avoiding line was built from the Pennington - Tyldesley line (opened 1 September 1864) to the Pennington and Bickershaw Junction line (opened 9 March 1885). The avoiding line opened to goods services on 2 June 1903).
To control the junction an LNWR Type 4 signal box of size E was provided. It was located adjacent to the junction on the north side of the line. The box which was inspected on 31 July 1902 was equipped with a 15 lever Tumbler frame.
Pennington East Junction signal box closed on 28 October 1953 after the avoiding line had gone out of use.
Pennington East Junction shown on a 25-inch scale map from 1905.