Station Name: REDMIRE

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: February 1877
Location: On the south side of an unnamed minor road
Company on opening: North Eastern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 26.4.1954
Date closed completely: 3.8.1970
Company on closing: British Railways (Eastern Region)
Present state: Restored and reopened
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: SD048915
Date of visit: April 1984

Notes: Although passenger traffic ceased in 1954 there were occasional passenger trains between 1984 and 1988. 22 miles of track between Northallerton and Redmire on the line to Garsdale were retained to serve a limestone works at Redmire. When this traffic ceased in 1992, the line was upgraded and used by the Ministry of Defence with occasional military traffic serving Catterick Garrison.

The 17 mile section of track between Leeming Bar and Redmire has now been acquired by the Wensleydale Railway, the section between Leyburn and Leeming Bar was reopened on 4th July 2003, this was extended to Redmire from 1st August 2004. This is a community passenger service, not a preserved steam railway with 5 trains a day over the line with occasional military traffic serving Catterick Garrison, this service is provided by EWS.

For the time being the remaining section of line between Leeming Bar and Northallerton has a bus service. In the short term the company are planning to reinstate the rail service between Leeming Bar and Northallerton and in the long term they are hoping to extend 18 miles westwards to Garsdale but this would involve relaying the lifted track.

 

See Wensleydale Railway web site

 

Redmire Station in April 1984
P
hoto by Nick Catford



Photo:Redmire Station after restoration - note the section of the station building in the foreground is new (see picture above)
Photo from FreeFoto.com web site. © FreeFoto.com

Photo:Class 107 unit at Redmire shortly before reopening
Photo © Alistair Beadle www.wrphoto.co.uk

 

1984

After restoration

 

 



Click thumbnail to enlarge

[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Monday, 22-May-2017 12:00:15 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations