Station Name:REEPHAM (NORFOLK)

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: 1.5.1881
Location: At the junction of Cawston Toad & Stoney Lane opposite the Crown Pub
Company on opening: Great Eastern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 15.7.1952
Date closed completely: 1.5.1964
Company on closing: British Railways (Eastern Region)
Present state: The station goods shed and platforms are still extant. The station building is used as a tea room and cycle hire centre.
County: Norfolk
OS Grid Ref: TG102235
Date of visit: March 1976 & August 1990

Notes: The track remained in use until 1985 to facilitate concrete product movements from Lenwade; this involved the construction of the Themelthorpe Curve west of Reepham linking the Wroxham - County School line with that from Norwich - Melton Constable.. Once concrete production ceased, there was no reason to keep the line open and it was closed. A long distance footpath and cycle track now passes through the station and there is a car park at the station. The station was renamed Reepham (Norfolk) from 1.11.1927 to avoid confusion with Reepham Lincolnshire. Although closed in 1952 some excursions continued to use the station.

See Cycling The Mattiottt's Way web site
Enjoying the Norfolk Countryside web site

See also Whitwell & Reepham Station

 

Reepham Station in March 1976
P
hoto by Nick Catford



Reepham Station in 1997
P
hoto by Peter Boggis

       

 

August 1990

August 1990

Station forecourt
in 1997



[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Monday, 22-May-2017 12:00:41 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations