RUBERY GALLERY

[Source: Terry Callaghan]
 
A general view of the station from the brakevan of a passing freight train in July 1953.
Photo by D J Norton
To see more pictures by D J Norton click here

The signalman at Rubery's Midland Railway box keeps a watchful eye out for the tail lamp of the passing freight train that this photograph was taken from during July 1953. The box looks to be in fine fettle with a splendid lamp to the left of the steps on a short column no doubt to aid with the token exchange between signalman and fireman. The box is a MR type 4d design built especially for the Halesowen Joint Railway equipped with a 17 lever frame. It differed from the type 4 design as it was built without finials and with full depth windows all round, but with the original small panes of glass. It is believed this was due to a skills shortage during the First World War. It had opened on 27 July 1919 replacing a box dating from 10 September 1883 and it closed during 1964.
Photo by D J Norton
To see more pictures by D J Norton click here


The station viewed from the level crossing looking east during May 1954 the rural location of the station is evident and was the reason for the poor passenger numbers. By this point the village centre of Rubery had been connected to the Birmingham Corporation Tramway system.
Photo by D J Norton from the John Mann collection
To see more pictures by D J Norton click here

A view of the SLS Society special The last train on the Harbourne Branch and Farewell to the Halesowen Branch tour of 2 November 1963. The tourThe tour was top and tailed with Ivatt 2MT class
2-6-0 46522 leading up to Old Hill with 46421 on the rear to take the train back along the branch
.
Photo by David Pearson


Looking west from Ormond Road at what is likely to be towards
the end of the platform on 28 August 2014.
Photo by Terry Callaghan

A felled telegraph pole was found on what is thought to be the easten end of the down platform on 28 December 2014. It could only be identified after many years of moss growth was removed.
Photo by Jamie Callaghan


After some excavations in the area suspected to be the down platform several pieces of tile and red brick could be located, one such example can be seen here on 28 December 2014.
Photo by Terry Callaghan

To return to the main page click here

 

 

 

[Source: Terry Callaghan]





Last updated: Monday, 22-May-2017 12:05:24 BST
© 1998-2014 Disused Stations