Notes: Rylstone station was opened by the Yorkshire Dales Railway on the 29th July 1902. The station was situated on the 8.75 mile ‘Grassington Branch’, which diverged from the Skipton to Ilkley railway, at Embsay Junction. The original intention of the Yorkshire Dales Railway Company had been to open a line northwards to Darlington but this never happened and the only other passenger station on the line, Grassington & Threshfield became the terminus.
Rylstone station was located a short distance from the villages of Hetton and Rylstone. The station was located on the west side of the single track line on the north side of a level crossing. It was provided with a single platform on which stood a single story timber building.
services had begun.
||At the time of opening passenger services were operated by the Midland Railway mostly running between Skipton and Grassington & Threshfield. At the 1923 ‘Grouping’ the Grassington Branch became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway who closed the line to regular passenger services on the 22nd September 1930 only twenty eight years after
Today the line through the site of Rylstone Station is still open linking the Swinden Lime Works with Skipton. Daily goods services continue to run along the line. The station building has long since been demolishes but the degraded remains of the platform and sections of brick built platform supports can still be seen.
A building stands on the site of the station building b ut the shape looks slightly different to the earlier building so it is assumed to be more recent.
For further pictures of Grassington & Threshfield Station see info see Embsay & Bolton Abbey Steam Railway web site.
Ticket from Michael Stewart
See also Grassington & Threshfield