Station Name: SCARBOROUGH LONDESBOROUGH ROAD

[Source: Nick Catford]

Date opened: 8.6.1908
Location: On the south side of the junction of Londesborough Road and Westover Road
Company on opening: North Eastern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 25.8.1963
Date closed completely: 25.8.1963
Company on closing: British Railways (North Easter Region)
Present state: The station frontage and entrance building survives as do a number of other buildings on the site but the platform area and concourse have been cleared and the site is now occupied by Londesborough Motor Services
County: Yorkshire
OS Grid Ref: TA035878
Date of visit: 25.10.2007

Notes: In the late 1890s, the excursion platforms at Scarborough Station could not cope with the influx of passengers to the town during the holiday season. There was no room to expand the station so the North Eastern Railway obtained powers to build an excursion station on the site of an old engine shed half a mile before the Scarborough terminus.


Washbeck Excursion soon after opening

As well as the station a new bridge was required to replace Washbeck Viaduct with sidings to accommodate the excursion trains at Nothstead on the Scarborough - Whitby line. The non timetabled station was called Washbeck Excursion Station and it opened on 1st June 1933.

The station consisted of a 300yard long through platform and one 250yard long bay platform. Most excursion traffic used the through platform, then passing through Falsgrave Tunnel on the Whitby line to the sidings at Northstead.

The station was upgraded to a public station on 1st June 1933 first appearing in Bradshaw on 17th July 1933. At this time the station was renamed Scarborough Londesborough Road and Scarborough Station was renamed Scarborough Central. The station was closed on 24th August 1963 and after that date all excursion trains ran into Scarborough Central. After closure the station was used for stabling excursion stock, at least through to the end of the 1966 season. After that date a local boat building company took over the station and it was used for winter berthing.

Ticket from Michael Stewart


An excursion train Washbeck Excursion Station in 1913 (The station wasn't renamed Scarborough Londesborough Road until 1933)
P
hoto by Alfred Hind Robinson



Type 2 loco D7578 passing through the closed Scarborough Londesborough Road in May 1964
Photo by John Clarke

Scarborough Londesborough Road Station after closure

Scarborough Londesborough Road station entrance in October 2007
P
hoto by Nick Catford

The site of the platform at Scarborough Londesborough Road in October 2007
P
hoto by Nick Catford




Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Home Page
Last updated: Saturday, 11-Oct-2014 23:27:10 BST
© 1998-2007 Disused Stations