Station Name: SHAKESPEARE CLIFF HALT
Shakespeare Cliff Halt: Gallery 2: Early 1950s - July 1976
The former Shakespeare Colliery site circa early 1950s. The large building seen on the left is the colliery boiler house, now devoid of its chimney. Buildings close to the lower cliff top date from WW2; that to the left overlooking the sea is one of the coast artillery searchlights. The railway cottages are seen to the left of the Akers steps. Click here for a slightly larger version.
Shakespeare Halt down platform in the 1950s. Electrification came in 1961. The only means of reaching the platform was by the barrow crossing seen in the foreground.
Photo from John Mann collection
The up platform at Shakespeare Cliff seen from a passing train in May 1957. No shelter was ever provided on this platform. The railway cottages and bungalow were still occupied at this time. The only access to the cottages was by rail or the steep climb using Akers 333 steps which are seen between the cottages and the tunnel.
Photo by J J Davis
A boat train from Victoria to Dover via Maidstone East passes Shakespeare Halt in 1958. At this time the halt was used by railway staff including the Shakespeare signalman - the box is seen beside the last coach. The loco is one of O.V.S. Bulleid's Light Pacifics, a design developed from the larger Merchant Navy Pacifics. They were designed to be lighter in weight than their sister locomotives, to permit use on a wider variety of routes, including in the south-west of England and the Kent coast. They were a mixed-traffic design, being equally adept at hauling passenger and freight trains, and were used on all types of services, frequently far below their capabilities. A total of 110 locomotives were constructed between 1945 and 1950, named after West Country resorts and the Royal Air Force and other subjects associated with the Battle of Britain. 20 of these locos have been
preserved in various forms.
Photo from Ernie's Railway Archive
Built in 1957 and entering service on 27 March at 74A, Ashford Chart Leacon shed, this Riddles-designed class 2MT 2-6-2 tank is seen working an Ashford and Dover via Minster and Deal stopping service. It had and incredibly short working life of just over seven-and-a-half years when it was withdrawn from 6G, Llandudno shed, during October 1964 to be scrapped by Hughes Bolckows of North Blyth the following January. 65 locos in this class were built, many operating on lightly-laid routes
and secondary lines.
Copyright photo from Colour-Rail
Looking north-east towards Shakespeare Halt and the Gothic portals of Shakespeare tunnel in 1960. The sidings were laid after the site was cleared following its use as part of Hougham battery in WW2.
Photo by John J Smith
A Class 33 diesel hauling the return 'Man of Kent' service to Charing Cross is seen passing Shakespeare Halt in 1961. This service was introduced in 1954 with two trains on weekdays between Charing Cross and Margate.
Photo from David Glasspool collection from Kent Rail,web site
The former LSWR's Directors Saloon DS 1 being propelled by BR Standard Tank 2-6-4 80137 stops at Shakespeare Halt shortly after the Folkestone - Dover line was electrified in 1961; semaphore signalling is still in use and this 'special' was to train drivers for the additional electric services the Kent Coast electrification scheme would bring.
Photo from John Mann collection
The recently renamed Shakespeare Staff Halt down platform is seen from a passing train circa late 1960s. A new nameboard has been fitted and the waiting shelter has been refurbished. It has lost its windows and the three fire buckets seen in the pictures above.
Photo by Graham Larkbey
The closed Shakespeare signal box in September 1973. This non-standard type South Eastern Railway box was built c1881 and closed when the box was replaced with a ground frame.
Photo by John Mann
The down platform at Shakespeare Staff Halt seen from a passing westbound train in July 1976. The halt has now lost its new nameboard seen in the late 1960s picture above suggesting that it might have been out of use at this time. It was last used in January 1974 by workmen carrying out preliminary work on the Channel Tunnel.
Photo by Alan Young
Click here for Shakespeare Cliff Halt: Gallery 3: