Station Name: SHAKESPEARE CLIFF HALT
[Source: Nick Catford]
1907 1:2,500 OS map shows Shakespeare Colliery during development of the site. The boiler house, one of the largest buildings on the site, has not yet been built. The miners' halt officially opened in 1913 although it is known that miners' trains ran from at least 1900 as one is shown in a working timetable. The blue arrow shows the position of the halt in 1913. Earlier trains might have stopped elsewhere and without a purpose-built platform. Only Borehole shaft is shown. Brady shaft had been abandoned by this date. Click here for a larger version.