Station Name: SHAKESPEARE CLIFF HALT
[Source: Nick Catford]
Shakespeare Colliery looking south-west from Akers steps in 1910. Although the first workers' train to the colliery appears in a 1900 working timetable the colliery halt did not officially open until 13 June 1913. Earlier trains might have stopped at a different site. This view shows no evidence of a platform where it is shown in the two pictures below. The headframe for Borehole shaft is seen closest to the camera with the recently (1906) renewed headframe from Simpson shaft to the rear. The boiler house, also a later addition to the site, is seen on the left.