Station Name: SHERWOOD
Sherwood station in May 1938. The station buildings on both platforms show recent signs of demolition following the singling of the whole route between Trent Lane, Nottingham and Daybrook. The stationmaster's house is seen bottom right and between the house and the platform the lamp room can just be made out. The cattle dock is seen behind the north end of the up platform. On the far right, near the bend in the road the north portal of Sherwood tunnel is seen at the end of the cutting. Sherwood Vale bridge is seen on the right and further along the road is the bridge over the bottom end of the Mapperley Brickworks incline. At the bottom of the incline there are exchange sidings where LNER rails met 'end-on' here with those of the Nottingham Patent Brick Company. Ascending and descending trucks were controlled from a small brick built hut.
Reproduced with the kind permission of Simmons Aerofilms Ltd