Station Name: SIDLEY

[Source: Nick Catford & Peter Harding (History)

Sidley Station Gallery 2 1955 - 1964

Looking south at Sidley station and goods yard from Ninfield Road bridge in March 1955. Both the signal box and the goods shed seen in the distance were larger than originally intended. Although there was a healthy trade in bricks and coal after the First World War, by the end of the 1920s it was clear that the shed was no longer required.
Photo by Denis Cullum

Pull-and-push unit 661 with an H class 0-4-4-T is seen in the up platform at Sidley ready to depart for Crowhurst in March 1955.
Photo by D Cullum

The same pull-and-push unit is seen in the down platform in the 1950s, bound for Bexhill West.
Copyright Photo from John Mann collection

A view of Sidley station from the steeply inclined approach road to the goods yard in the 1950s. An unidentified H class tank engine waits to depart with a Bexhill West service.
Photo from Mike Pannell's collection

Looking north towards Sidley station in the 1950s. Both the signal box and the goods shed were larger than originally planned. The box had a 20-lever frame and was worked on a double shift system until around 1930. In later years it was unstaffed and was worked by the goods train guard while the loco shunted in the yard.
Photo from Mike Pannell's collection

An unidentified H class tank with a pull-and-push unit pulls in to Sidley station c 1950s. Although Sidley station retained its Southern Railway 'target' signs until closure the larger signs were replaced by British Railways. A BR Southern Region green running-in board is seen here.
Photo from Mike Pannell's collection

Sidley station looking north from the signal box c1964. The long access road to the goods yard is seen on the left. A siding terminated behind the down platform on the left, allowing the platform to be used as a dock if required. A permanent way hut is seen alongside this siding.
Photo from Mike Pannell's collection

A DEMU waits for passengers for Bexhill West c1964. Although the street level building was taken out of use in 1938 the access path along the north end of the building was retained. From there passengers descended a short flight of steps to the footbridge and crossed the line to the down platform as the booking office was relocated to the down platform waiting room.
Photo from Mike Pannell's collection

Sidley station ticket office on the down platform c1964. The ticket office was in the south end of the building (closest to the camera) with the waiting room alongside. Note the Southern Railway 'target' sign. BR totem signs were produced for Bexhill West but never fitted. They were not produced for Sidley where targets were retained until closure.
Photo from Mike Pannell's collection


Click here for Sidley Station Gallery 3 1964 - 2013


 

 

 

[Source: Nick Catford & Peter Harding (History)


Home Page
Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 09:56:56 BST
© 1998-2013 Disused Stations