Station Name: SOUTH HOWDEN
[Source: Mark Dyson]
1890 1:2,500 OS map shows the layout of the station and goods yard. Tthree sidings run behind the up platform, that closer to the main line running through a goods shed to terminate at a cattle dock. A number of sidings and sheds are also seen in the south side of the yard. One of the sheds has a short section of track that doesn't appear to be connected to other sidings. These were probably the remains of a base used by the contractors building the H&B. The railway opened in 1885; the map is dated five years later but in reality was probably surveyed a couple of years earlier, so it is very likely some builders' infrastructure remained - the isolated shed with stub rail is a typical indicator. One of the sheds was almost certainly for locos. The station had two signal boxes, one at the west end of the up platform, the other on the down side to the west of the goods yard.