Station Name: SPENNYMOOR

 

[Source: Nick Catford]


Date opened: November 1845
Location: Intermediate station on a line from Bishop Auckland - Ferryhill. On the east side of Carr Street (formerly A6074)
Company on opening: North Eastern Railway
Date closed to passengers: 13.3.1952
Date closed completely: 2.5.1966
Company on closing: British Railways (North Eastern Region)
Present state: Demolished - No trace of anything remains the embankment on which the station stood has been demolished to make way for a new roundabout.
County: Durham
OS Grid Ref: NZ257337
Date of visit: September 1967, May 1968 & August 1969

Notes: The station was first served by a market train to Byers Green in November 1845 with a regular daily service running from April 1956 to a temporary terminus 150 yards to the west. This terminus was closed on 1.6.1878 when the through station was opened. The line was used by football trains until 2.6.1963 with special excursions to Seaton Carew and Redcar; it's not known if these trains stopped at Spennymoor.

For more pictures of Spennymoor see Picture Spennymoor web site

 


Spennymoor Station in September 1967
Photo by Nick Catford


Photo by
Nick Catford

Spennymoor Station in June 1963 with one of the specials that continued to use the line after the withdrawal of the regular passenger service.
Photo by F R Tweddle


Spennymoor Station in August 1969
Photo by Nick Catford

1967

1967

1968

1969


Click on thumbnail to enlarge

[Source: Nick Catford]

Home Page
Last updated: Friday, 26-May-2017 10:00:38 BST
© 1998-2004 Disused Stations