Station Name: ST. HELENS (Lancs) 3rd Station

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Date opened: 1.2.1858
Location: North of Parr Street and east of Shaw Street..
Company on opening: St. Helens Railway
Date closed to passengers: 17.7.1871
Date closed completely: 17.7.1871
Company on closing: St. Helens Railway
Present state: No trace remains, the site is partially occupied by the present station forecourt, the remainder of the former site is waste ground.
County: Lancashire
OS Grid Ref: SJ515954
Date of visit: 1975 & 2002

Notes: The building of a new line by the St. Helens Railway from St. Helens to Rainford which necessitated the building of a new station. This was because the existing station (St. Helens 2nd) was a terminus situated on a spur from the original 1832 line. The spur connected to the main line west to south so trains using the new Rainford branch would have had to reverse in or out of the existing station. So to avoid this a new station St. Helens (3rd) was constructed on what would became the through line.

It seems that this station had a temporary air about it and it was not particularly popular with the residents of the town who felt that they deserved something better. In the late 1860's the LNWR, who had by then taken control of the St. Helens Railway, began construction of a new line from St. Helens to Huyton. This new line gave more direct access to Liverpool and to serve it a new Station, was built. The new station which is still open today, although much rebuilt in the 1960s, opened on 17.7.1871 several months before the Huyton line and on the same day St. Helens 3rd Station closed.

Interestingly the 4th station started life as St. Helens, was renamed St. Helens Shaw Street on 1.3.1949 and renamed once again in the 1980's to St. Helens Central.

See also St. Helens (1st Station) & St. Helens (2nd Station)



St. Helens Shaw Street (4th station) c.1960. Taken from the extreme west end of the station, looking towards Corporation Street. The 3rd station would have been on the near left-hand side of the photo.
Photo reproduced by permission of St. Helens MBC Libraries, Local History & Archives Section



St. Helens 4th Station in 1975 looking north shows part of the site of the 3rd Station site. The 3rd station was towards the foreground of the picture on the left hand side.
P
hoto by Bevan Price

St. Helens 4th Station now known as St. Helens Central looking south in 2002. St. Helens 3rd Station would have been located in the top right hand quarter of the picture. The lines bearing left at the south end of the station are the route of the original St. Helens and Runcorn Gap railway which would have served the 3rd Station. The lines leading off to the right are the 1872 Huyton line which led to the building of a replacement for the 3rd station'.
P
hoto by Bevan Price



 

 

 

[Source: Paul Wright]


Home Page
Last updated: Tuesday, 29-Oct-2013 19:56:40 GMT
© 1998-2008 Disused Stations