Station Name: STALEY & MILLBROOK
Looking south-east from Hartshead Power Station towards Staley & Millbrook station in January 1980. Beyond the power station’s cooling tower in the foreground, Spring Bank Lane / Grove Road can be seen passing the tall structure of Spring Grove Mill, notable for its serrated roofline with ‘North Light’ windows, then passing under the wide arch of the viaduct. Staley & Millbrook passenger station building used to stand immediately beyond this arch, and the station’s platforms were immediately to the right of the edge of the photograph. Staley & Millbrook goods station was about 200yd beyond the west end of the viaduct. The passenger station closed in 1909 but the goods station survived until 1964. Hartshead Power Station ceased to be rail-served in 1972, but the railway to it through Staley & Millbrook was not taken out of use until 1976. The power station closed in 1979, shortly before this photograph was taken, and has since been demolished. The spire of St James’s Church is prominent in the distance in the centre of the photograph, as is Staley Mill, far right.
Photo by Vanessa Dixon from her Flickr photostream