[Source: Nick Catford]
Staveley Works station and goods yard is seen at the bottom. Staveley iron works is in the centre and in the distance Barrow Hill MPD is seen. Staveley Roundhouse was built to a standard Midland Railway square shed design in 1870. After 1948 it became known as Barrow Hill so as not to confuse it with the ex-Great Central shed nearby. It was operational from 1870 until 9 February 1991. After closure, the building was heavily vandalised. After lobbying of the local council, the building was Grade 2 listed by the Department of the Environment in February 1991. Following negotiations with the British Railways Property Board, Chesterfield Borough Council became the new owners of the shed and nearby yard on 20 December 1996. The council subsequently granted a recurring maintenance lease to the Barrow Hill Engine Shed Society, who secured and refurbished the site, including renewal of the original 1870 roundhouse glass roof, except for one section. Funding was provided by the council, Derbyshire County Council, the Transport Trust, North Derbyshire Training and Enterprise Council, European Regional Development Fund and the Government SRB fund. The site reopened to the public in July 1998. Today, still retaining its connection to the UK national rail network through Network Rail, it is the home to many preserved British railway locomotives.