Station Name: THIRSK TOWN
[Source: Nick Catford]
Goods train on the Thirsk Town branch in 1965. The loco 43076, is an Ivatt Class 4, nicknamed 'Flying Pigs'. One of 162 in the class, it was built at Darlington in October 1950 and withdrawn from Low Moor shed (25F), on 30.9.1967 and cut up at Cashmoers of Great Bridge 28.2.68. Introduced December 1947 Ivatt was an LMS design with double chimney and taper boiler; later engines were built with single chimney. The first three engines were built by the LMS in December 1947, the remainder built under BR auspices from 1948 to 1952.The first fifty engines were constructed with double chimneys, but all were subsequently converted to single blast pipes and chimneys. One is preserved; 43106 was bought privately from BR when it was withdrawn in 1968 from Lostock Hall shed.
Photo from Alan Brown collection