Notes: The London Tilbury & Southend Railway was promoted
by the Eastern Counties Railway and the London & Blackwall
Railway by an Act of 1852. In order to reach the North Kent
resort of Gravesend a short spur was built to a terminus at
Tilbury with an adjacent pier to take advantage of the increasing
steamboat traffic on the river Thames. The station opened
as Tilbury Fort in April 1854 south of a triangular junction
on the Southend line between Tilbury Town and East Tilbury.
||The LT&SR were able to offer passengers
the attractive prospect of cheap through fares to Gravesend
from Fenchurch Street with a boat service to Tilbury from
Gravesend Town Pier in competition with the South Eastern
Railway who had opened their station at Gravesend five
years earlier. Shortly after opening the 'Fort' suffix
In 1881 the LT&SR put forward a proposal for a direct
rail connection from Tilbury to the the London, Chatham &
Dover Railway by means of a tunnel under the Thames. The LT&SR
was, however, short of money and its main concentration at
the time was competing with the Great Eastern Railway for
Southend traffic so the tunnel was never built. The ferry
crossing was perpetuated by the Midland Railway when it absorbed
the LT&SR in 1912, and then by the London Midland &
Scottish Railway from 1923 onwards. On 6th July 1936 the station
was renamed Tilbury Riverside.
This enabled liners to
berth at all states of the tide with boat trains bringing
passengers to Riverside Station.
On their journey to Southend and Shoeburyness, most trains
from Tilbury Town would reverse at this station and then continue
to East Tilbury.
In 1930 the Port of London Authority and the London Midland
and Scottish Railway constructed a floating landing stage
that was opened by Ramsay McDonald.
|After WW2 increased car ownership led to a decline in its
importance as a passenger ferry terminal and with the opening
of the Dartford Tunnel in 1963 the passenger service was drastically
reduced. Freight traffic being withdrawn from 6th May 1968
with only private siding remaining in use. The station finally
lost its passenger service on November 29th 1992.
With the closure of the station the ferry continue to run
and the pier can now be reached by a shuttle bus service from
Tilbury Town station.
Since 1984 the Gravesend
- Tilbury Ferry has been operated by a private company.
The service is currently provided by the Lower
Thames & Medway Passenger Boat Company.