Station Name: TONGHAM HALT
[Source: Peter A. Harding]
1934 1:2,500 OS map shows that there have been many changes since the 1871 map above. The goods yard has been reconfigured with a single siding running diagonally across the yard replacing the four short sidings, turntable and goods shed. A signal box has also been provided opposite the goods yard. To the west of the station the gas works siding trails off at the end of the up platform and on the south side of the line there is another new siding serving the dog biscuit factory which has been built behind the down platform. The covered stairway is seen running from the street level booking office to the up platform building. This building comprised a brick waiting room with an open-fronted shelter alongside. The stairway runs behind the shelter to north end wall of the building. The down platform shelter is not shown. Note the new stairway to the down platform; this was provided when the line was singled and the up platform was taken out of use.