Station Name: VELVET HALL

[Source: Alan Young]


Velvet Hall Station Gallery 2: Winter 1963/64 - June 2013

Velvet Hall looking north-east probably in winter 1963-64 after closure of the station to passengers. The platforms and buildings are intact apart from the waiting shelter on the up platform which has been demolished. The sidings (right) are in place but they appear to be disused
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

Looking north-east from the road bridge towards the Velvet Hall goods yard and disused passenger station probably in winter 1963-64.
Photo by Morrison Halbert from Roy Lambeth collection / ARPT collection

The disused goods loading dock at Velvet Hall station is seen in 1973, looking north-east. The station building and passenger platforms are visible beyond.
Photo from Sine Project

The station building at Velvet Hall is seen in January 1976, looking north-west from the A698 road. A flat-roofed single-storey extension has replaced the single-storey buildings seen in earlier photographs. Whilst the NER ensured that the two-storey extension of 1905 (the right-hand end of the building) blended with the original building of 1849, the new flat-roofed extension is unsympathetic. The mullioned windows have been removed from the station building to its visual detriment, but the new ones complement the window of the new extension.
Photo by Alan Young

Velvet Hall station looking north-east in September 1977. The former up platform is in the foreground. Beyond the shed that has been constructed across the trackbed is the former station building.
Photo by John Mann

Looking south-west at Velvet Hall station in September 1977. The up (right) and down platforms are in place and the recently-extended former station building adjoins the down platform. The trackbed has been obstructed by an unsightly shed.
Photo by John Mann

Looking south towards the station building and former station building and down platform at Velvet Hall in September 1977. No attempt has been made to ensure that the recent single-storey extension in the foreground complements the dignified stone building.
Photo by John Mann

Looking south-west in 1978 at Velvet Hall station. Although the platforms and main building have survived, the former station site is hideously disfigured by structures installed since closure.
Photo by Alan Lewis from his Ipernity photo gallery

Velvet Hall station building is seen from the approach road in August 2001. The stonework has been cleaned since the photo of 1976. The unlovely single-storey flat-roofed extension will be noted. The earlier extension (far left) still appears to have the timber construction seen on earlier views.
Photo by Alan Young

Looking north-west at the road frontage of Velvet Hall station in July 2006.
Photo by John Furneval

Velvet Hall station is seen in June 2011, looking south-west. The former up platform is still in place. The single-storey extension, far left, was added after closure of the station.
Photo by Alan Young

Looking north-east from the site of the down platform of Velvet Hall station in June 2011. The trackbed is now used as a garden, enclosed on the left by the former up platform. The appealing rustic architecture of the play-house will be noted.
Photo by Alan Young

The former weigh office at Velvet Hall station is seen in June 2011.
Photo by Alan Young

The station building at Velvet Hall is seen from the A698 road in June 2013. The solar panels
are a new addition.
Photo by Dennis Lovett

June 2011

Click on thumbnail to enlarge


 

 

 

[Source: Alan Young]




Last updated: Wednesday, 27-Dec-2017 10:25:39 GMT
© 1998-2017 Disused Stations